I am returning separately, exactly 24 hours behind, as I have a talk to give this evening in Collegeville on the future of Catholic Church music.
| The coach drives off... |
The Cathedral will no doubt be pleased to have the full choir back for Sunday, and I have put very well-known music down, meaning that we don't need the Saturday afternoon Song School. Hopefully you will all have received an email from Mr O'Brien sent last night giving the option of returning the choristers as late as 8pm on Saturday.
We asked the boys which aspect of the tour they had enjoyed the most, and the answer seemed to be (1) Rockefeller Building and (2) the hosts. With all the nervousness and red tape surrounding 'school trips' these days [which this wasn't btw, but the government probably sees it as one], it's getting harder to make the hosting situations work, but I'm a firm believer in the fact that it gives the children so much more enjoyable an experience than being cooped up in hotels all the way around, and it seems your sons agree. They got to meet many interesting people and make friends, have fun, stay in some amazing places, and see American life so much more vividly than from the perspective of a hotel lobby or coach window. Thank you, parents, for your support for this aspect of the tour - it really did make a hugely positive difference.
Thank you also for the many favourable comments on this blog. I'm glad it's been useful. Having intended it to be an objective record of the tour it seems I got a bit carried away on occasion, but I hope you enjoyed the libellous comments fun. I'll calm down when I get back to miserable wonderful London, I'm sure!
Dear Mr Baker, Kate and I have just returned from Rome but we wanted to say what a joy it has been to follow the tour via your blog. As you know we were in New York and thought the concert was superb. The ovation excelled the one that we also witnessed after seeing 'Sister Act' on Broadway!! We are looking forward to welcoming you back and many congratulations. Kind regards. Nick Auger.
ReplyDeleteThanks - we may not have the stage presence of Whoopi Goldberg but the quality of music and beauty of performance clearly speak for themselves!
ReplyDeleteWe have just seen the coach return to WCCS and seen the choristers who were elated and not as tired looking as we were expecting! Many thanks again for arranging such a superb tour and the chance to follow it via the blog. All best wishes Guy & Henrietta Hopkins
ReplyDeleteThank you for a wonderful tour. I think NY's concert was the best. Benedict McG
ReplyDelete